AUSTIN, Texas — The University of Texas (3-1, 1-0) defeated the No. 17 TCU Horned Frogs (2-2, 0-1) 31-16 on Saturday at Darrell K Royal – Texas Memorial Stadium. Once again, defense was the tale of the tape for Texas as the Longhorns forced four TCU turnovers, including two interceptions by true freshman Caden Sterns and an interception and a fumble recovery by junior Brandon Jones. The Texas victory snaps a four-game losing streak against the Horned Frogs and marks UT’s first three-game winning streak since 2014.
- TCU marched the ball down the field on their opening drive but the Texas defense held the Horned Frogs to a 46-yard field goal. On the ensuing drive the Longhorns were unable to convert a Cameron Dicker field goal as TCU maintained a 3-0 lead early in the first quarter.
- Tre Watson shed multiple TCU defenders as he bounced his way into the end zone for a three-yard touchdown run to give the Longhorns their first lead of the afternoon, 7-3.
- Shawn Robinson connected with Jalen Raegor for a 50-yard reception that positioned the Horned Frogs in the red zone. Kris Boyd broke up a would-be touchdown in the end zone, forcing another TCU field goal that shrunk the TCU deficit to just one point, 7-6.
- A 26-yard punt gave Texas starting field position in TCU territory, setting up a 34-yard Cameron Dicker field goal to give the Longhorns a 10-6 lead.
- Robinson found Raegor in the end zone for a one-yard touchdown pass, giving the Horned Frogs a 13-10 lead just seconds before halftime.
- Jonathan Song knocked in his third field goal of the afternoon to extend the TCU lead to six, 16-10, to begin the second half.
- Brandon Jones recovered a Robinson fumble, setting the Longhorns up with favorable field position. Sam Ehlinger launched a 31-yard pass that was caught by a leaping Colin Johnson to give Texas the lead once again, 17-16.
- On the ensuing TCU possession, Caden Sterns picked off Robinson for the second time on the afternoon, running the ball back to the three-yard line. On the very next play, Ehlinger kept the ball and rushed in for a short touchdown run, giving the Longhorns their second score in 17 seconds and extending the Texas lead to 24-16, at the end of the third quarter.
- Ehlinger linked up with Lil’Jordan Humphrey for a 38-yard touchdown pass to give Texas a 31-16 lead and ice away the Longhorn victory.
Texas will travel to the Bill Snyder Family Football Stadium for their matchup next Saturday against the Kansas State Wildcats. The game between the Longhorns and the Wildcats will kickoff at 2:30 p.m. CT and be televised on FS1.
Courtsey of Texas Longhorns PR
- A couple of takeaways from the Mavericks loss to the Wizards
- Hoops Tank, Ep. 15: What exactly is it that is allowing the perplexing Mavericks to keep winning games?
- A couple of takeaways from the Mavericks win over the Clippers
- TweetCap: Fans react to Dallas’ road loss against Kansas City
- A couple of takeaways from the Mavericks loss to the Suns