The Dallas Wings fell short in a heartbreaking 75-72 loss to the Phoenix Mercury Tuesday night.
A frustrated Skylar Diggins-Smith led the Wings in scoring with 16 points, four rebounds. Diggins-Smith attempted to tie the game last second but barely missed the mark.
The Wings managed to maintain control of the first half securing a 40-37 lead heading into halftime, but the second half got rocky as the Wings lost energy.
Center Liz Cambage fouled out with 7:56 left to play in the game, allowing the Mercury a 6-0 run to regain the lead. The Wings took back the lead once more with a free throw before the Mercury came back for the win.
Frustration with officiating was visible throughout the majority of the game. At one point late in the fourth quarter, forward Aeriel Powers had possession and called timeout but the refs did not agree and called for a jump ball. At another point there was a flagrant called on Cambage during an offensive rebound.
Diggins-Smith even shared some censored words with the officials after being called for a technical foul in the second half. Let’s just say this girl is not to be messed with.
— Dorothy J. Gentry (@DorothyJGentry) June 13, 2018
“The good thing is that we talk to eachother,” said forward Glory Johnson in regards to the questionable calls. “We try to hold our composure and calm eachother down and then focus on the next play.”
The unity of this team did not go unnoticed. Diggins- Smith went as far as to highfive every fan who stayed after the game for autographs. Small gestures such as this serve as reassurance that the Wings are under solid leadership despite whatever emotions may be running high.
The Wings return to College Park on Friday to take on the Las Vegas Aces at 7 p.m.
- DallasFanatic Pod Ep 96: Dak Prescott is “All about the Benjamins baby!”
- Rangers’ Joey Gallo for AL MVP? It’s not as crazy as you’d think.
- Quad injury comes at a tough time for both Willie Calhoun and the Rangers
- Short-sided booking continues to be problematic for WWE’s women’s division
- Dallas Wings Media Day roundup
- What Dwight Powell declining his player option means for the Mavericks
- FC Dallas Draws with Los Angeles FC
- Brock Lesnar: Beast in the Bank
- Rangers show the “Show Me” state teams how it’s done, then head to the west
- Watching Jaylon Smith’s (Unlikely) Legendary Narrative Unfold