The Dallas Wings fell short in a heartbreaking 75-72 loss to the Phoenix Mercury Tuesday night.
A frustrated Skylar Diggins-Smith led the Wings in scoring with 16 points, four rebounds. Diggins-Smith attempted to tie the game last second but barely missed the mark.
The Wings managed to maintain control of the first half securing a 40-37 lead heading into halftime, but the second half got rocky as the Wings lost energy.
Center Liz Cambage fouled out with 7:56 left to play in the game, allowing the Mercury a 6-0 run to regain the lead. The Wings took back the lead once more with a free throw before the Mercury came back for the win.
Frustration with officiating was visible throughout the majority of the game. At one point late in the fourth quarter, forward Aeriel Powers had possession and called timeout but the refs did not agree and called for a jump ball. At another point there was a flagrant called on Cambage during an offensive rebound.
Diggins-Smith even shared some censored words with the officials after being called for a technical foul in the second half. Let’s just say this girl is not to be messed with.
— Dorothy J. Gentry (@DorothyJGentry) June 13, 2018
“The good thing is that we talk to eachother,” said forward Glory Johnson in regards to the questionable calls. “We try to hold our composure and calm eachother down and then focus on the next play.”
The unity of this team did not go unnoticed. Diggins- Smith went as far as to highfive every fan who stayed after the game for autographs. Small gestures such as this serve as reassurance that the Wings are under solid leadership despite whatever emotions may be running high.
The Wings return to College Park on Friday to take on the Las Vegas Aces at 7 p.m.
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- Texas Rangers Fanatic Podcast Episode 3: A Coach’s Perspective
- Three Rangers with major questions surrounding them in the second half of Summer Camp
- Dak, Cowboys unlikely to reach deal before Wednesdays deadline
- Dallas Wings release Wubble season schedule
- After three playoff holes, Colin Morikawa wins at Muirfield Village
- Five Rangers making their presence known after Week One of Summer Camp
- Dallas Stars Fanatic Podcast: Stanley Cup Qualifiers get the green light- how does Dallas matchup in its first three games?
- Best of the Mavericks social media fun after several days in the bubble
- NHL set to return August 1st; Stars skate again on August 3rd
- Tony Romo seeks third straight American Century Championship title in Lake Tahoe