In an effort to bolster what has been an inconsistent bullpen, the Texas Rangers have traded for veteran reliever Jason Grilli. The Rangers sent minor league outfielder Eduard Pinto and cash to the Toronto Blue Jays in exchange for the 40-year old righty. To make room for Grilli on the 40-man roster, the Rangers have designated reliever Preston Claiborne for assignment.
Grilli, now in his 15th season, has pitched for eight different franchises in his career, including a stint with the Rangers in 2009. The reliever was acquired by Toronto last season in a mid-season trade with the Atlanta Braves. In 2016, Grilli appeared in 46 ball games out of the Toronto bullpen going 6-4 with a 3.64 ERA. This season has been a different story for the well-traveled reliever. Grilli has struggled to the tune of a 6.97 ERA in 26 relief appearances.
The trade comes two days after Ranger closer Matt Bush blew his fourth save in his last eight tries in an 8-7 loss to the Chicago White Sox. Following the loss on Friday, Rangers manager Jeff Banister announced that the Rangers would be going to a closer-by-committee approach until further notice.
While the Rangers have not officially announced that Grilli will be a part of the closer committee, it is worth noting that Grilli does have experience as a big league closer. In 2013, Grilli recorded 33 saves for the Pittsburgh Pirates, making his first and only All Star team. Grilli then went on to record 29 saves for the Braves in 2015.
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- What to watch for as the Mavericks host the Cavs
- Mavericks hold on to force fourth-straight loss for Irving, Nets
- Photos: Mavs vs Nets (May 6, 2021)
- Five realistic free agents Dallas should consider post-draft
- NFL Draft Review: How much potential does Wright have to contribute?
- What to watch for as the Mavs look to knock off the Nets
- Getting to know the Dallas Cowboys third round picks: Osa Odighizuwa, Chauncey Golston and Nashon Wright
- NFL Draft Review: Golston gives size, length to remolded defense
- Three takeaways from the Mavericks big win over the Heat
- NFL Draft Review: Odighizuwa can be disruptive for interior line