Texas came to terms with one of the top free agent right-handed pitchers on the 2018 Major League Baseball free agent marketplace.
However, it wasn’t the player some were expecting.
The Rangers reportedly signed free-agent RHP Lance Lynn on Friday. T.R. Sullivan of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram broke the news of the singing, and MLB.com’s Mark Feisnand’s first reported its terms: 3 years, $30 million.
The Rangers may have missed out on top pursuit Charlie Morton, who signed a 2-year, $30 million deal with Tampa Bay just hours earlier, but they got a nice compromise in Lynn.
Lynn, 31, split time between Minnesota and the New York Yankees last season, going 10-10 with a 4.77 ERA in 31 starts. He spent the previous six seasons of his career with St. Louis, where he was a consistent top-of-the rotation arm.
He missed the entire 2016 season due to injury, but recorded a career-high 18 wins in 2012, and posted a 3.03 ERA as recently as 2015.
The Rangers rotation could feature three players who didn’t play for the team in 2017. Lynn could join Drew Smyly, who was traded to Texas in November, Edinson Volquez, who signed last offseason but missed the entire 2017 season due to injury, in Texas’ starting five.
Mike Minor and Ariel Jurado, who saw extensive playing time down the stretch in Texas’ 67-95 campaign, figure to compete for the start on Opening Day- Mar. 28, 2019 at home against the Chicago Cubs.
Lynn’s signing continues what has been a relatively big offseason for Texas, who hired as manager Chris Woodward Nov. 2, signed catcher Jeff Mathis on Nov. 15, and saw longtime captain Adrian Beltre announce his retirement Nov. 20.
The team also traded utility player Drew Robinson to St. Louis for infielder Patrick Wisdom Tuesday night.
Lynn’s singing might not be the only news Texas makes at this week’s MLB Winter Meetings, which started Sunday and run through Thursday, in Las Vegas. The team is also reportedly shopping infielder Jurickson Profar, and at least “listening” to trade offers on outfielder Nomar Mazara.
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- Luka and the Mavs make it happen when it counts in win over the Spurs
- How will the Rangers handle attendance in 2021 with Spring Training and the season approaching?
- Mavericks’ rookie Josh Green embraces the ‘dirty work’
- Three things to watch for as the Mavericks travel to San Antonio
- Reactions after Mavs snap three-game losing streak against Pacers
- Mavericks visit the Pacers as both teams fight through major injuries
- Three takeaways as the depleted Mavericks lose their third straight to Toronto
- Dallas Stars Fanatic Podcast: Stars enter 2021 season with question marks after delayed start
- What to watch for as the Mavericks look to bounce back against Toronto
- A couple of takeaways from the Mavericks 117-101 loss to the Bulls.