Texas came to terms with one of the top free agent right-handed pitchers on the 2018 Major League Baseball free agent marketplace.
However, it wasn’t the player some were expecting.
The Rangers reportedly signed free-agent RHP Lance Lynn on Friday. T.R. Sullivan of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram broke the news of the singing, and MLB.com’s Mark Feisnand’s first reported its terms: 3 years, $30 million.
The Rangers may have missed out on top pursuit Charlie Morton, who signed a 2-year, $30 million deal with Tampa Bay just hours earlier, but they got a nice compromise in Lynn.
Lynn, 31, split time between Minnesota and the New York Yankees last season, going 10-10 with a 4.77 ERA in 31 starts. He spent the previous six seasons of his career with St. Louis, where he was a consistent top-of-the rotation arm.
He missed the entire 2016 season due to injury, but recorded a career-high 18 wins in 2012, and posted a 3.03 ERA as recently as 2015.
The Rangers rotation could feature three players who didn’t play for the team in 2017. Lynn could join Drew Smyly, who was traded to Texas in November, Edinson Volquez, who signed last offseason but missed the entire 2017 season due to injury, in Texas’ starting five.
Mike Minor and Ariel Jurado, who saw extensive playing time down the stretch in Texas’ 67-95 campaign, figure to compete for the start on Opening Day- Mar. 28, 2019 at home against the Chicago Cubs.
Lynn’s signing continues what has been a relatively big offseason for Texas, who hired as manager Chris Woodward Nov. 2, signed catcher Jeff Mathis on Nov. 15, and saw longtime captain Adrian Beltre announce his retirement Nov. 20.
The team also traded utility player Drew Robinson to St. Louis for infielder Patrick Wisdom Tuesday night.
Lynn’s singing might not be the only news Texas makes at this week’s MLB Winter Meetings, which started Sunday and run through Thursday, in Las Vegas. The team is also reportedly shopping infielder Jurickson Profar, and at least “listening” to trade offers on outfielder Nomar Mazara.
- Ep. 2: AD-Lakers trade, Celtics drama, NBA Draft, Cowboys contract situations, U.S. Women’s Soccer, & more
- Dallas Fanatic Pod: 100th Episode Pt 2: Luka Doncic wins Rookie of the Year, NBA free agency heats up and Taimon gets married!
- Pence and Gallo finalists to represent the Rangers as starters in the All-Star Game
- Dallas Fanatic Pod: 100TH EPISODE PT 1. !!!!! Former Cowboys RB Lincoln Coleman sits down with DSF to discuss the Cowboys and his time with the team!
- Why Kemba Walker makes sense for Dallas
- Luka Doncic’s Historic Rookie Campaign is Complete; Named 2018-2019 NBA Rookie of the Year
- Photos: Rangers vs White Sox (June 23, 2019)
- 3 reasons why Prescott is owed huge payday
- 3 reasons why the Mavs shouldn’t pursue a ‘big fish’ in free agency
- How Liz Cambage, Las Vegas Aces ended Wings two-game win streak