After a search that lasted about a month and included a list of interviewed candidates long enough to fill out an entire lineup card, news began to break Friday night that the Texas Rangers have found their new skipper.
— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) November 3, 2018
While Rangers beat reporter Evan Grant stated that the club would not confirm or deny the news, he explained that it’s likely just a formality so that the club had time to inform its internal candidates (Don Wakamatsu and Jayce Tingler) can be notified of the decision.
Chris Woodward, 42, has been the third base coach for the back-to-back National League champion Los Angeles Dodgers since 2016. The Covina, California native played in 13 major league seasons as a mostly back-up catcher for the Toronto Blue Jays, New York Mets, Atlanta Braves, Boston Red Sox and Seattle Mariners.
Talked to a couple of #Dodgers players and a former teammate of Chris Woodward’s. All spoke glowingly of their relationships with him. Clear the amount of belief they have in him. Teammate said he was a guy whom everyone respected, great communicator.
— Jared Sandler (@JaredSandler) November 3, 2018
The Rangers apparently let go of Jeff Banister because of his lack of ability to communicate with the increasingly young roster the franchise was assembling. Based off the Jared Sandler tweet above, Woodward should be a solid choice for the rebuilding team.
With his former employer, the Dodgers, playing all the way through last Sunday in their loss to the Boston Red Sox in the World Series, Woodward was one of the last candidates interviewed for the position this week. Maybe it was a matter of waiting for “the one” or he made an incredible impression to persuade them off of another candidate. Either way, an official announcement is on the way sometime this weekend and the Rangers will be able to enter their offseason with a new, young manager at the helm.
- Ep. 2: AD-Lakers trade, Celtics drama, NBA Draft, Cowboys contract situations, U.S. Women’s Soccer, & more
- Dallas Fanatic Pod: 100th Episode Pt 2: Luka Doncic wins Rookie of the Year, NBA free agency heats up and Taimon gets married!
- Pence and Gallo finalists to represent the Rangers as starters in the All-Star Game
- Dallas Fanatic Pod: 100TH EPISODE PT 1. !!!!! Former Cowboys RB Lincoln Coleman sits down with DSF to discuss the Cowboys and his time with the team!
- Why Kemba Walker makes sense for Dallas
- Luka Doncic’s Historic Rookie Campaign is Complete; Named 2018-2019 NBA Rookie of the Year
- Photos: Rangers vs White Sox (June 23, 2019)
- 3 reasons why Prescott is owed huge payday
- 3 reasons why the Mavs shouldn’t pursue a ‘big fish’ in free agency
- How Liz Cambage, Las Vegas Aces ended Wings two-game win streak