It was announced earlier today that the Texas Rangers have signed veteran infielder to a contract pending a physical. Various reporters have leaked details about the contract value after the Dallas Morning News’ Evan Grant initially reported the signing Sunday afternoon.
Source: Todd Frazier gets $5 million guaranteed from Rangers. He’ll get $3.5 million in 2020, with a $5.75 million club option for 2021 (or a $1.5 million buyout).
— Mark Feinsand (@Feinsand) January 12, 2020
He may not be the best hitter, as can be seen by his .243 career average and a career OPS of .770, but he does trend better against southpaws where his career average is .294 with an OPS over .900. The left-handed heavy lineup for the Rangers struggled against left-handed pitching recently.
Now this isn’t the Nolan Arenado trade people might have been bracing for, but what you get in Frazier is a great veteran clubhouse presence to help mentor the young guys like Hunter Pence did last season. He is affectionately known by his teammates as the “Toddfather”. So at least that’s one player that new Globe Life Field DJ Michael Gruber won’t have to think of a nickname for. Love you, Grubes!
I also don’t see this as the only infield move that Texas will make this offseason. They could still be in play for Arenado even into Spring Training as the Rockies continue to field calls for their superstar third baseman. Then they could move Frazier to first with Ronald Guzman being his backup. I don’t see Texas being players for Josh Donaldson as a lot of teams are balking on him because of his age, injuries and desired price tag.
There’s also the possibility that Texas doesn’t get another third baseman in the offseason. If Nolan Arenado is still available by the trade deadline and Texas is in the chase they could pull the trigger then.
The Rangers are still connected to OF/INF Nicholas Castellanos, a move I’d be on board for.
Overall, I am on board with this adding Frazier to this roster. It also appears that Isiah Kiner-Falefa is slated to be a utility player in 2020. This figures since I just bought his jersey.
For this offseason’s work, I would have to give Jon Daniels a strong B+, maybe A-. We have what could be the best starting rotation in the AL West, added to the bullpen and brought back Robinson Chirinos at catcher. Now all we can do is sit back and wait for the next move. You know it’s coming.
2020 is looking like it’s going to be a fun season.
Until next time, I’ll see you in the new cheap seats!
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- Rangers Blast From The Past: Byrd’s Walk-Off Grand Slam Downs the Yankees
- PGA Tour set to tee it back up
- ‘Focus on today’: Don Kalkstein on mental health in the NBA & maneuvering through the COVID-19 pandemic
- With plenty of floating ideas, which is the best one to bring back the NBA?
- Dallas Stars Fanatic Podcast: More on the NHL’s plan to return to play
- Making sense of the “Return to Play” plan and how it affects the Stars
- Rangers broadcaster CJ Nitkowski discusses the possible routes to a 2020 season
- 2012 Rangers Bonus: How Texas fares in baseball simulation vs. Actual results
- Esports Trade Association President John Davidson talks connecting with the female audience and possible growth opportunities
- Rangers Blast From The Past: Colby Lewis dominates in Seattle, but offense doesn’t break through until the 12th