DeAngelo Williams, still one of the remaining Free Agents looking for a new team, spoke with ESPN’s Adam Schefter about his options. He mentioned that he would take calls from all teams except four in particular: Cleveland Browns, Jacksonville Jaguars, Carolina Panthers, and your Dallas Cowboys. It should be noted that Williams grew up a huge San Francisco 49ers fan, which could be one of the reasons the Cowboys found themselves on that short list, but he elaborated a little more than that.
“My fandom for the team I was raised as will not allow me to go to the Cowboys. I’m an ’80s baby and the 49ers ruled the ’80s. The Cowboys somewhat did something in the ’90s; I even refuse to give them that.”
Well then. “Somewhat did something”? Three Super Bowl victories in four seasons to start the ’90s should qualify as doing more than just something. Williams then went in a little deeper on the Cowboys franchise..
“The Cowboys, they win. They just don’t ever show up during the playoffs. They always disappear in the playoffs. I’ve got a great depiction of the Cowboys’ fan base. During the regular season last year, they were on cloud nine. You couldn’t tell them anything because they were going to win the ‘ship — that’s all they said. Fans just got extremely super annoying. Then, the minute they lose, they either got cheated, somebody was hurt — the excuses start flowing. It’s just amazing to me. That fan base just in general can’t handle defeat. Still, to this day, they say that the Dez Bryant catch against the Green Bay Packers was a catch!”
Look, I get it. You don’t have to look to hard at these comments to know that Williams is just acting how any true fan would. If you were in his position, would you want to suit up for the Washington Redskins, Philadelphia Eagles, or New York Giants? How about the long time rival San Francisco 49ers? See what I’m saying?
One thing is for sure though. He may want to make sure that whatever team he agrees to join doesn’t find themselves on the Cowboys 2017 season schedule. Nothing better than chalkboard material.
Happy hunting DeAngelo!
- What to watch for in the regular season finale as the Mavs take on the Timberwolves
- After a slow start, David Dahl is on the rise for the Rangers
- A couple of takeaways from the Mavericks victory over the Raptors
- What to watch for as Dallas hosts the Toronto Raptors
- Mavs push Pelicans out of playoffs behind explosive 45-point second quarter
- 2021 Dallas Cowboys schedule takeaways
- The PGA Tour returns to Dallas for the 2021 Byron Nelson at TPC Craig Ranch
- What’s the deal with the Texas Rangers and series openers?
- What to watch for as Mavs host the New Orleans Pelicans
- Dallas Stars Fanatic Podcast: Stars miss the postseason: Is that actually a good thing?