Earlier this week Cowboys owner Jerry Jones told the public to not count on an “Amari Cooper-type” deal this year. So, instead, they opted for a more subtle trade to boost the defensive line.
It’s not official yet, but the Cowboys and Patriots reportedly came to an agreement on a conditional 2021 seventh-round pick in return for veteran pass rusher Michael Bennett.
Bennett must complete physical on Friday before the Cowboys must create a roster spot for him and make the deal official.
Per David Helman of DallasCowboys.com, “If Bennett hits certain performance marks, the Cowboys’ seventh-round pick upgrades to a sixth-round pick.” Bennett has amassed five tackles and 2.5 sacks in six games for the Patriots in limited playing time.
New England acquired the three-time pro bowler from the Eagles this offseason, but defensive scheme changes saw Bennett’s role reduced.
He participated in just 11 defensive snaps in the Patriots’ Week 6 win over the New York Giants.
The Patriots parted ways with Bennett after a team suspension for their latest game. Bennett was suspended by the team last Tuesday for one week after he had a disagreement with defensive line coach Bret Bielema.
“It is what it is, man,” Bennett said Wednesday when asked about his current feelings about playing on the Patriots. “It’s up to the team [about the possibility of being traded], how they feel about it. I like playing here.”
The Texas A&M product will be reunited with Cowboys defensive passing game coordinator Kris Richard after the two worked together on the Seattle Seahawks. Richard served as defensive coordinator from 2015-17, the three years in which Bennett was selected to the Pro Bowl.
Bennett’s brother, Martellus Bennett, was a second-round draft pick for Dallas from 2008-11. So there should be familiarity with the Dallas area, along with the ties to Richard.
Bennett presents an opportunity for the Cowboys to replace the hole defensive end Tyrone Crawford left after having season-ending shoulder surgery earlier this month. He rotated in and out as an end and tackle while with Seattle and figures to find a similar role with the Cowboys in a similar scheme.
The NFL’s trade deadline is on Oct. 29.
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- Three Rangers with the most future money on the line in a condensed 2020 season
- ‘We all got a little more extra juice now’: Kristaps Porzingis on the NBA season restart
- Summer Camp begins for the Rangers; four things to pinpoint before the season starts
- Spieth and many other big names out as the PGA Tour heads to Detroit for the Rocket Mortgage Classic
- FC Dallas in the spotlight due to to nine reported positive COVID-19 tests in Orlando
- A Dak Prescott decision needs to made
- Dustin Johnson wins the Traveler’s Championship on Sunday with weather delays
- Texas Rangers Fanatic Podcast Ep. 1: Notes on the planned 2020 season
- What to expect from the WNBA 2020 season
- News of COVID-19 cases continues tough month of off-field happenings for Rangers