After suffering defeat for the first time in 2019, the SMU Mustangs bounced back with a 59-51 win over the East Carolina Pirates to improve to 9-1.
After giving up 54 points last week in Memphis, it was another tough day for the Mustangs defense. They gave up 644 total yards and allowed the pirates to convert on 9 of 16 third downs. Coach Sonny Dykes was surprised how the team played on defense after this weeks practice.
The offense was able to respond each time the game came within one point, which the game did on several occasions. Shane Buechele completed 33-46 passes for 414 yards and five touchdowns.
Coach Dykes put the ball in Shanes hands twice in critical moments on 4th down and Shane converted both times, one on 4th and 20 and 4th and 3 with 50 seconds left in the 4th game. After the game coach Dykes mentioned how those decisions aren’t made if he doesn’t trust his quarterback.
Kylen Granson caught 7 passes for 138 yards and three touchdowns. His third touchdown came on 4th and 20 and put SMU up 52-44 with 7:25 left in the 4th quarter. Granson mentioned that he was feeling a little “big for his boots” after the game. Granson has 7 touchdowns in the past four games.
James Proche finished the game with 14 catches for 167 yards and two touchdowns. It was a historic day for Proche, as he now has a touchdown in 9 straight games, which is a school record. With his first touchdown of the day, he passed Emmanuel Sanders for the most touchdowns in SMU history. Sanders caught 34 touchdowns in his time at SMU.
East Carolina receiver Tyler Snead caught 19 passes for 240 yards and three touchdowns. The 19 catches is the most of any pass catcher for the 2019 season.
Xavier Jones had another great day on the ground with 20 carries for 157 yards and three touchdowns. Jones passed Eric Dickerson in total touchdowns in 2019 with 20 and his 18 rushing touchdowns is one shy of Dickerson’s school record from 1981.
Reggie Roberson Jr. was on the sideline with crutches during the game but coach Dykes said that his foot injury is one that some guys come back quick and others not so quick. He did not completely rule out Roberson for their next game in two weeks against Navy.
- Mavericks announce multi-year strategic partnership with Chime
- Quote Board: Mavs players react to dramatic win over the Trail Blazers
- Photo: Mavs vs Blazers (January 17, 2020)
- A look back at the last time the Cowboys played on Championship Sunday
- Ex-Cowboys HC Jason Garrett reportedly lands with Giants as OC
- Concerning trend of early deficits continuing for the Stars
- Mavericks Midseason Roundtable: Meeting Expectations, Trade Deadline Moves, & Playoff Predictions
- Sabres close out season series versus Dallas 2-0
- Dallas Wings release expanded 2020 schedule featuring inaugural Commissioner’s Cup
- A couple takeaways from the Mavs 127-123 win over the Kings