The SMU Mustangs celebrated their seniors with a 37-20 victory over the Tulane Green Wave on Senior night. The win gave the Mustangs their first 10 win season since 1984. The Mustangs went undefeated at home for the first time since 1968.
The Green Wave held the ball for 36 minutes, outgained SMU 465-377 but the Mustangs had two takeaways and stopped Tulane on all four crucial 4th down attempts.
Senior Myron Gailliard put the Mustangs on the board 7-0 with a 30 yard touchdown catch. That was his first touchdown catch of the season.
Even though Shane Buechele didn’t have one his best games, he was able to throw for three touchdowns despite completing just 15 of his 27 passes for 180 yards.
Xavier Jones rushed 18 times for 125 yards and two touchdowns. Jones now holds the school record for most rushing touchdowns in SMU history with 22 passing Eric Dickerson. Xavier Jones called it an “honor” to play with his teammates during this 2019 season. Jones credited coach Sonny Dykes and “trust” as the biggest difference with this years team vs. previous years. Jones said that he can now say he has done everything he wanted to do at SMU.
James Proche extended his touchdown streak to 11 with 10:23 left in the 4th quarter with a 26 yard touchdown catch that put the Mustangs up 27-17.
The Mustangs will now wait to see where they will head for the bowl game but Proche and his teammates are excited. He said when coach Dykes told him they had 15 more practices, they were “amped because that’s more time with my guys.”
- In the thick of October, an early Texas Rangers Opening Day roster prediction
- Victory Avenue Podcast, Ep. 28: The Ticket’s Jake Kemp joins for a Season Preview Roundtable!
- Dallas Stars Fanatic Podcast: 2021 Season Starts With High Expectations
- Media Roundup: Where are the Cowboys ranked nationally?
- Rank ‘Em: Deciding which of Dallas’ five games were the most impressive
- Yet another statement: Cowboys roll another divisional opponent
- Sidekicks coach Pablo Da Silva speaks to DSF about the upcoming season
- DSF Roundup: Writers share final thoughts on Dallas’ divisional game
- Which areas of the roster should the Rangers focus more on this offseason?
- DSF Mailbag: Who’s been more vital to this defense’s success? Diggs or Parsons?