The Dallas Stars entered last night’s game riding a 3-game winning streak. They extended it to 4 after defeating the visiting Carolina Hurricanes 4-3 in the first of two meetings scheduled this season between the teams.
Both Tyler’s – Pitlick and Sequin – scored for the Stars with Pitlick enjoying his first career two-goal game that helped Dallas build a four-goal lead. Jamie Benn also scored and Ben Bishop stopped 36 shots.
Carolina looked to be shut out as the Stars got their offense going early and went up 4-0. But late in the 3rd Carolina got going with two goals from Jeff Skinner and a goal from Jordan Staal to pull them within one with 4 1/2 minutes remaining. Scott Darling finished with 22 saves for Carolina.
“We had them dead to rights,” Hitchcock said. ”The first goal gave them a little bit of life, the second goal, that’s all on us. We played for two periods until the last (10) seconds exactly the way you have to play to beat them. The second goal gave them the life they needed. You can’t defend skating backwards.”
The Stars won the 2016-17 season series against Carolina with 2-0-0 record. They will meet the Hurricanes again at Carolina on Nov. 13.
As part of its 25-year anniversary celebration in the NHL, Dallas honored retired former captain Brendan Morrow. He dropped the ceremonial first puck for Stars captain Benn and Carolina rookie Haydn Fleury.
The Stars are now 5-3-0 and 3rd in the Central Division. They travel to the Pepsi Center in Denver on Tuesday to take on the Colorado Avalanche.
- Rangers make another free agency statement with major signing of Jacob deGrom
- Stars Notebook: Hintz signs 8-year extension; Robertson, Benn enjoying fast starts
- The Rangers take a first step this offseason with staff additions, what’s next?
- An early look at what the Texas Rangers need to address in the offseason
- Texas Legends Media Day: Chemistry and connection that is our theme