Sunday’s preseason finale was a debut to fans and followers at the College Park Center for Liz Cambage and many of the Dallas Wings.
After building a 27-17 lead in the first quarter, Dallas did not once relinquish its lead against the Las Vegas Aces.
The Wings cemented their final preseason outing with an 68-55 victory on their home floor.
Reigning rookie of the year Allisha Gray showcased a complete game in her performance. Gray totaled 10 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists and 3 steals.
“I just try to go out there and play an overall game,” Gray said after the win. “Overall, at the end of the day, the win is all that matters.”
Cambage added 11 points, 6 rebounds, three blocked shots and altered many more throughout the course of the game.
Las Vegas utilized a 15-0 run in the third quarter, bringing the Aces within two points, but were unable to close the deficit.
Rookie forward Azura Stevens totaled 12 points, 4 rebounds a steal and a block in her home debut earning praise from head coach Fred Williams.
“I thought it was super,” Williams said of Stevens’ performance. “For a rookie coming in she’s still learning our system of things and to score. Defensively she’s really able to block shots and alter shots. But I think her overall basketball I.Q. is really good.”
The Wings also announced their decision to waive forward Evelyn Akhator and center Ruth Hamblin following the preseason finale. Akhator was selected with the third overall pick in the 2017 WNBA draft, ahead of Gray.
Dallas begins its regular season against the Phoenix Mercury at 9 p.m. on Friday. The Wings host the Atlanta Dream for their first home game of the season at 2 p.m. May 20 in the College Park Center.
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- Two key areas of inconsistency show as Mavs squander late lead over Nuggets
- Texas Rangers Fanatic Podcast Episode 20: Hip Hip Hooray with Jose Trevino
- Photos: Stars vs Predators – Jan. 25th, 2021
- Mavericks still searching for any bit of consistency as they host the Nuggets
- Stars Win Second in a Row Against the Predators
- Problems arise in Mavericks worst loss of the season to the Rockets
- Mavericks look to extend winning streak against the Rockets
- Luka and the Mavs make it happen when it counts in win over the Spurs
- How will the Rangers handle attendance in 2021 with Spring Training and the season approaching?
- Mavericks’ rookie Josh Green embraces the ‘dirty work’