As the NFL is busy making moves by either free agency or trades, teams are drastically trying to get better. Yet, the Dallas Cowboys is one team that seems content to stay pat with their current roster and making only slight additions. I know the fan base isn’t too thrilled about this direction, but I am. The best way to build your team is through the draft and making only small bargain buys that fills the holes on your team. This theory works, as long as you sign your OWN free agents. So the Dallas Cowboys need to make the ultimate step and sign Demarcus Lawrence NOW.
Making bargain moves and depending on the draft is great to keep a young roster but it is ultimately a moot point if you don’t re-sign any of your best players. “Tank” Lawrence certainly deserves the new contract because of his excellent play on the field. Adding 10.5 sacks and 64 combined tackles, Lawrence proved in a prove it year that he can still be a dominant player despite playing with a bad shoulder. The team should have no hesitation and must bring him back at a very generous price.
Some tell me that don’t worry, that Tank will do what Dez did and they will sign a deal by July 15th and things will be all smiles. Yet, that is where things will be very different for the fans and even the Jones family as they are thrown a wild card in these negotiations. As many people know by now, Lawrence is dealing with a messed up shoulder and it will need surgery to fix this offseason. Yet, Lawrence has put off the surgery until he gets his new deal.
This is one incredible negotiation tactic that is rare but so effective. The reason why is because once you have the surgery, the player has to have a two to three month recovery and rehab process. So if they wait until summer or even the July 15th deadline, Lawrence will miss most of the regular season. There could be a scenario where Lawrence will wait until the last second and then sign the franchise tag and then get the surgery. He gets his money guaranteed and then not play at all and gears up for another off-season showdown.
Now the pressure is on the Cowboys to get something done by at least the draft to ensure that Tank is ready by the start of the regular season.
Stephen Jones needs to swallow this one and just pull out the checkbook and pay the man. Sometimes you aren’t going to win the negotiation and you simply are the more desperate party. While trying to be financially responsible is a good thing, it isn’t always the best move. If the Cowboys ever want to be in the Super Bowl in the next few years, you will need Tank on the team.
Pay the man!
- Why Kemba Walker makes sense for Dallas
- Luka Doncic’s Historic Rookie Campaign is Complete; Named 2018-2019 NBA Rookie of the Year
- Photos: Rangers vs White Sox (June 23, 2019)
- 3 reasons why Prescott is owed huge payday
- 3 reasons why the Mavs shouldn’t pursue a ‘big fish’ in free agency
- How Liz Cambage, Las Vegas Aces ended Wings two-game win streak
- Rangers end season long stretch with winning home stand, look to the road ahead
- Expect the unexpected with this Mavs offseason
- Mazara and company propel Rangers through early deficit; even series with White Sox
- Rangers reliever Peter Fairbanks overcomes two elbow surgeries in path to big leagues