No. 12/13 Texas (2-1, 0-0) scored on its first four possessions and held a 31-0 lead at halftime en route to a 48-13 win over Rice (0-3, 0-0) on Saturday night at NRG Stadium. Keaontay Ingram rushed 13 times for 74 yards and his first multiple-touchdown game with a pair of scores.
- Texas jumped out to a 31-0 halftime lead, scoring on six of seven offensive drives and holding Rice to only two first downs in the first half. Going back to the second half of last week’s game against LSU, Texas scored on nine-straight drives and averaged 9.7 plays and 75.7 yards.
- Texas opened the game with a 12-play, 82 yard touchdown drive, capped off by the first career touchdown by Roschon Johnson. Sam Ehlinger connected with Johnson for a 25-yard touchdown pass.
- Jake Smith caught a career-long reception of 53-yards for a touchdown on the Longhorns second possession of the game.
- Keaontay Ingram extended the Texas lead to 21-0 with a 26-yard touchdown run on a fourth down play.
- Smith caught his second touchdown of the game to give the Longhorns a 28-0 lead in the second quarter.
- Cameron Dicker kicked a career-long 57-yard field goal late in the first half to make the score 31-0. The kick is the longest by a Longhorn since 1985, when Jeff Ward hit a 57-yard field goal at Texas A&M.
- To open the second half, the Texas defense stopped Rice and gave the offense the ball back. The Longhorns went 91 yards down the field and Ingram finished it off with a 14-yard touchdown run.
- After Rice got its first score of the game in the fourth quarter, Dicker kicked his second field goal of the game, a 46-yarder, to give Texas a 41-6 lead.
- Following a late touchdown by the Owls, D’Shawn Jamison took the ensuing kickoff 98 yards for a touchdown. The kickoff return for touchdown as was the first by a Longhorn since 2012 (D.J. Monroe at Oklahoma State, 9/29/2012).
QB Sam Ehlinger
• Finished 23-of-27 for 279 yards with three touchdowns.
• Totaled 11 passing touchdowns through three games in 2019 to match Colt McCoy (2008) for the best three-game start by a Texas quarterback in school history.
• Has thrown 34 touchdowns to only three interceptions over his last 16 games. Texas is 12-4 during that stretch, with five wins over ranked opponents.
• The first Texas quarterback to throw for at least three touchdowns in three-straight games since Colt McCoy (4 games) in 2008.
• Has passed for at least 200 yards 13 times over his last 16 games.
• Became the sixth player in school history with at least 7,000 yards of total offense. After a 306-yard day against Rice, his career total sits at 7,151 yards (6,163 pass/988 rush).
• The seventh Texas quarterback to surpass 6,000 career passing yards. After Saturday, he has thrown for 6,163 yards.
• Has recorded 1,077 yards of total offense (956 pass/121 rushing yards) in three games this season. That is the best three-game start by a Longhorn in terms of total offense (prev. Colt McCoy, 2008 – 1,027 yards) and his 12 touchdowns responsible for (11 pass/1 rush) are the most since Colt McCoy had 13 (11 pass/2 rush) in the first three games of the 2008 season.
WR Devin Duvernay
• Caught six passes to bring his tally to 27 receptions this season. He is the first Longhorn since Jordan Shipley (26 – 2009) to record at least 25 receptions through the season’s first three games.
RB Keaontay Ingram
• Carried the ball 13 times for 74 yards and two scores. It was his first career multi-TD game
Texas returns to Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium for the Big 12 opener against Oklahoma State. The game between the Longhorns and Cowboys will kick off at 6:30 p.m. CT and be televised on ABC.
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- Rangers broadcaster CJ Nitkowski discusses the possible routes to a 2020 season
- 2012 Rangers Bonus: How Texas fares in baseball simulation vs. Actual results
- Esports Trade Association President John Davidson talks connecting with the female audience and possible growth opportunities
- Rangers Blast From The Past: Colby Lewis dominates in Seattle, but offense doesn’t break through until the 12th
- Should’ve been, could’ve been: The story of the 2012 Texas Rangers, Part Three
- How many quarterbacks are better than Dak Prescott?
- Should’ve Been, Could’ve Been: The story of the 2012 Texas Rangers, Part Two
- What does the future hold for the Rangers old Globe Life Park?
- Sports Innovation Lab’s 2020 Hackathon
- Cowboys Mailbag: Underselling Jason Garrett as an offensive coordinator?