Not only was Monday, April 15th a day to celebrate Jackie Robinson, it also held a special meaning for Texas Rangers fans.
It was Chuck Morgan’s 2900th game as a public address announcer.
Here's to 2,900 more! pic.twitter.com/bsv5UIEYwl
— Texas Rangers (@Rangers) April 16, 2019
When I think of the Texas Rangers, outside of the players, there are three names that come to mind: Eric Nadel, Mark Holtz and Chuck Morgan.
Chuck Morgan has been with Rangers since 1983. There was the exception of the 2002 season when he was with the Kansas City Royals but I tricked my mind into believing it was a dream like when Bobby Ewing was found still alive taking a shower in the infamous episode of “Dallas”. Yes, I’m that old.
Chuck Morgan has the best voice of any public announcer in any sport, in my opinion. His voice is booming and I fell in love with the way he called players up to bat when I was a kid. He didn’t simply say “Batting next, third baseman Steve Buechele”. No, he put emphasis on the name. It was “Batting next Steeeeve Buuu-chele!” And he still does that to this day.
What else has he done besides being the best as an announcer?
He created the dot race. “This is just an exhibition. No wagering please.”
He started the “no wave zone” on the jumbotron which was met by love and respect from die-hard fans.
This year he made Rangers’ fans laugh when he welcomed the “bandwagon” Cubs’ fans to Globe Life Park.
He’s just that great and brilliant. He takes care of the team in regards to walk-up music (Yes, Baby Shark has grown on me and others) and he doesn’t hesitate to answer questions to the fans. In fact he’s very fan friendly and is normally quick to answer people, time permitting, on Facebook or Twitter, the latter which you can find him at @TEXPAMAN, but I’m sure you already knew that.
Chuck Morgan is as synonymous to the state of Texas as Whataburger is. They are both institutions. There’s nobody better and never will be. Hopefully they can find a way to put a place in Cooperstown for him some day. Here’s for hoping that he works another 2900 games and beyond.
Until then we can all enjoy the experience he provides at Texas Rangers home games.
Until next time, I’ll see you in the cheap seats!
- Ep. 2: AD-Lakers trade, Celtics drama, NBA Draft, Cowboys contract situations, U.S. Women’s Soccer, & more
- Dallas Fanatic Pod: 100th Episode Pt 2: Luka Doncic wins Rookie of the Year, NBA free agency heats up and Taimon gets married!
- Pence and Gallo finalists to represent the Rangers as starters in the All-Star Game
- Dallas Fanatic Pod: 100TH EPISODE PT 1. !!!!! Former Cowboys RB Lincoln Coleman sits down with DSF to discuss the Cowboys and his time with the team!
- Why Kemba Walker makes sense for Dallas
- Luka Doncic’s Historic Rookie Campaign is Complete; Named 2018-2019 NBA Rookie of the Year
- Photos: Rangers vs White Sox (June 23, 2019)
- 3 reasons why Prescott is owed huge payday
- 3 reasons why the Mavs shouldn’t pursue a ‘big fish’ in free agency
- How Liz Cambage, Las Vegas Aces ended Wings two-game win streak