— Dirk Nowitzki (@swish41) May 16, 2018
Dallas went into the night with a 42.5% chance to land in the top three of next month’s NBA Draft. However, that 57.5% took over, and they fell out. The Mavericks, who were projected to pick third, landed the fifth overall pick in the draft. While fans are justifiably upset at the slippage, the players projected to be available at five will make an immediate impact for Dallas.
The Mavericks will likely miss out on top prospects like DeAndre Ayton, Luka Doncic and Marvin Bagley III, but may still hit a home run. Lengthy rim protectors Mo Bamba and Jaren Jackson Jr. are projected to fall in that four to six range and one of them may just find themselves in Dallas’ starting lineup.
Statistically speaking, the fifth overall pick was the most likely position for the Mavs going into the night at 29%. A top five pick is a top five pick but not landing in the top three definitely stings a little. However, Mavs fans should take comfort in the fact that this pool of talent is stronger than the average draft class. The NBA Draft will take place on June 21st. Here’s how the rest of the Lottery wound up:
- Phoenix Suns
- Sacramento Kings
- Atlanta Hawks
- Memphis Grizzlies
- Dallas Mavericks
- Orlando Magic
- Chicago Bulls
- Cleveland Cavaliers
- New York Knicks
- Philadelphia 76ers
- Charlotte Hornets
- Los Angeles Clippers
- Los Angeles Clippers
- Denver Nuggets
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- In the season of giving thanks, let’s all follow the example of Rangers’ Jose Trevino
- Surveying the Mavericks place in the Western Conference pecking order after free agency
- Ranking the Mavericks recent City Edition jerseys with the 2020-2021 version now official
- Thoughts on the Mavericks roster after the first weekend of NBA Free Agency
- Game Recap: Cowboys earn third win behind fourth-quarter play
- Mavs bring back Cauley-Stein on two-year deal
- Mavericks agree to terms with Wes Iwundu
- Mavericks trade Delon Wright and Justin Jackson in a deal focused on keeping options open in the future
- Is it Fair to Call Joey Gallo’s 2020 Season a Regression?
- Re-signing of Trey Burke brings back Mavericks bubble spark plug