The Cowboys are losers once again. Well that is if you listen to national media reports and even some local media. Yes, the Cowboys have lost two important games in a row and there is some serious doubt cast about this team’s ability to succeed against true quality opponents. Maybe the team was over-hyped going into the season? Regardless, the Cowboys need to bounce back and here are 3 big issues that the team must fix if they want to be a contender.
Brett Maher was a problem last year. He was a problem at the start of the year. This problem can be fixed easily, cut him now. I know the arguments are that any kicker better than Maher would be on a team already, but that is a lazy argument. You have to find someone better and can’t just stick with the man because you don’t think you will find someone better. Remember in 2006 when the Cowboys had Mike Vanderjagt. He struggled all season long and according to then head coach Bill Parcells, he was sticking to his guy. That changed by December as the Cowboys switched to Martin Gramatica who hadn’t played in a season. He turned out pretty well down the stretch. There are options out there and the Cowboys need to use their vast resources and invest in finding a new kicker now.
While execution or lack thereof is one of the problems that has plagued the team in the last two games, the health of the team has also contributed to the struggles. Important players are out of the game and if they are playing they are not at their best. The offensive line is trying to get back into form but when you enter a game without your left tackle and then lose your right tackle, things are going to be dicey. This week will be a big test as the Cowboys could be without Tyron Smith and Lae’l Collins. The good news is that Antwaun Woods is close to a return, which could solidify a struggling defense.
It is pretty hard to win a football game playing two opponents, the other team and yourself. The Cowboys did that when they played the Packers and lost the turnover battle 3-0. This year the Cowboys have found themselves at the bottom of the league with turnover differential at negative four. So far, they have given up the ball 8 times while only forcing 4 takeaways. That has to be reversed quickly or this will be a long season for this team.
Fixing these problems isn’t a promise this will make them back into contenders again. Yet, they could be the first steps back to winning football.
- Defining Rangers Moments of the 2010’s: Beltre’s 3,000th Hit
- Powell, Brunson spark the Mavs as they hold off Timberwolves
- Photos: Mavs vs Timberwolves (December 4, 2019)
- Colorful discussion surrounding powder blue making its glorious return for the Rangers
- Photos: Texas Rangers Unveil Uniform Information for 2020 (December 4, 2019)
- Former Texas Rangers pitcher Derek Holland to do honorary first kick at Sidekicks home opener Dec. 14
- Photos: SMU vs Northwestern (December 3, 2019)
- Career-high 18 rebounds for Luka as Mavs beat Pelicans 118-97
- Photos: UTA Mavs vs UNT Mean Green (December 2, 2019)
- Where there’s smoke there’s fire? Early indications show the Rangers aren’t messing around this winter