Last night the Dallas Cowboys filled a big need with the acquisition of linebacker Leighton Vander Esch with their first round pick of the 2018 NFL Draft. Day two of the draft starts with surprising news that 15-year veteran and 11 time Pro-Bowler Tight End, Jason Witten, will be retiring. One can bet this surprising news sent the front office into a bit of a frenzy. There’s a bright side in that the Cowboys still have six rounds and nine picks left in the draft. I have a feeling that Dallas will draft two offensive players in the 2nd and 3rd round. Here are some possible prospects.
TE Dallas Goedert, Dakota State Jackrabbits
Good news is that only one tight-end was taken in the first round yesterday. With Witten leaving, there is a huge void to fill and Dallas Goedert out of Dakota State could be a good option for the Cowboys. In his senior year, he had 72 catches totaling 1,111 yards, and seven TDs. A former basketball player, Goedert has great hands and can adjust in the space well. If drafted, he would need to work some on his blocking, but he would be a great overall pick.
WR Courtland Sutton, SMU
Last week, the Cowboys had Sutton out for a private practice. Coach Jason Garrett and new wide receivers coach Sanjay Lal were also seen spending a good amount of time with him at SMU’s Pro-day. With Dez Bryant being released, it’s imperative that the Cowboys find a strong receiver and Sutton could be the man for the job. I’m willing to bet a lot of other teams are looking at him right now so if the Cowboys want him, they may have to trade up to keep him here in Dallas.
WR Christian Kirk, Texas A&M
If Sutton is taken early in the 2nd round, Kirk could be a good alternative. He can play inside and out as well as return kicks. He led the SEC with 83 catches in 2017 and led the nation with three TD punt returns last year. He didn’t have the best numbers at the combine but that shouldn’t deter the Cowboys from considering him.
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- Reliving the best moment in Texas Rangers history 10 years later: Winning that first AL Pennant
- Dallas Cowboys Stock Report: Week 6
- Season Outlook: Predicting the Cowboys final 2020 record
- Can the Dallas Cowboys recover from another blowout loss?
- TweetCap: Fans react to Cowboys primetime loss
- Why Rangers fans should be excited for Game 7 of the NLCS at Globe Life Field
- Strange year continues as Mavs offseason buzz is picking up in… October?
- Dallas Cowboys Stock Report: Week 5
- Globe Life Field makes history in NLCS with something it’s been lacking: fans
- Season Outlook: Expectations following Prescott’s injury?