All aboard the Michael Gallup train. Seats are filling up fast.
Cowboys rookie Michael Gallup has been a hot topic out of Cowboys training camp and I’m here to tell you why the hype is real.
The former Colorado receiver was drafted by the Cowboys in the third round this year after much anticipation surrounding the Cowboy’s status in wide receiver depth. Fast forward three months later and the 6-foot-1, 22-year-old star is making an impressive case for a starting role on the Dallas roster.
Dak to Michael Gallup, who beats Byron Jones. pic.twitter.com/TSnRWaop6f
— Kate Hairopoulos (@khairopoulos) July 29, 2018
Gallup is participating in first-team reps and does well at outside receiver, a trait that QB Dak Prescott has been longing for. His build and aggression allow him to break off in man-to-man coverage, not to mention his ability to run clean, crisp routes despite not being a very fast player.
— Pro Football Focus (@PFF) March 18, 2018
How does Michael Gallup set himself apart from the other receivers? According to Gallup, consistency is key.
“Trying to be consistent at all times,” says Gallup. “Not all receivers try to be consistent. They make a big play and they think that’s all they need to do. For me, if I catch a five-yard route, I catch another five-yard route. For me it’s just being consistent.”
Consistency, however, does not go hand-in-hand with perfection.
Sunday’s training camp practice was rough for the rookie after previously having a stellar first day of padded practice.
“I wouldn’t say it was a bad day,” Gallup said, via RJ Ochoa of ESPN San Antonio. “It was a teaching day, a learning day. You have a couple drops, you run a bad route, you’ve got to get the next one. It was a learning day for me. They’re all learning days, but this one in particular.”
Gallup with tough catch on Cheeto from Dak pic.twitter.com/cUezitpZib
— Shan Shariff (@1053SS) August 2, 2018
Gallup has been turning heads through the first week of training camp but he’ll need to demonstrate that he can continue to feed off this momentum for the weeks to follow to truly make a name for himself on this team. If you’ve been keeping up with Gallup since OTAs then you should have little doubt in this guy’s ability to shine on the Cowboys offense.
While he doesn’t believe in the necessity for a true No. 1 receiver, his name is continuously mentioned in the conversation of the possibility that we may be seeing great things from Michael Gallup in his rookie season with the Cowboys.
- NFL Madden 22: Cooper seen as eighth best receiver in release day ratings
- Season Outlook: “Randy Gregory is going to make All-Pro”
- Luka scores 48, dominates Argentina in Olympic debut
- The Gold Cup leaves the DFW area following USMNT’s win on Sunday night
- Texas Rangers Fanatic Podcast Episode 28: Misery Loves Company
- Stars trade down, select Wyatt Johnston No. 23 overall
- Rangers are getting a look at Curtis Terry, but who plays second base?
- Season Outlook: What will it take for Prescott to win MVP in 2021?
- Dallas Cowboys training camp news: Elliott’s new physique shows increased motivation for 2021
- Smith, Vander Esch headline most intriguing position group to watch