The UT Arlington Mavericks defeated the South Alabama Jaguars 91-67 Saturday evening.
The boys in blue had a short turnaround this week coming off a 86-76 win at home against Troy Thursday night. This win brings the Mavs record to 11-6, 2-2 Sun Belt.
The Mavericks now have a 6-3 series advantage against the Jaguars having won the last three games against South Alabama. They had two victories last season in Mobile (89-83) and in Arlington (86-75.)
Five Mavericks scored double figures against the defending Sun Belt Conference Tournament Champions. The Maverick first half leader was center Johnny Hamilton who had an impressive 18 points and 12 rebounds for an explosive performance.
Guard Kaelon Wilson ended the night with 19 points, five rebounds. It’s definitely worth noting that Kaelon, as Coach Cross explained, has stepped up his game this season in a major way by attending early morning shooting sessions throughout the week to improve his three-point shooting.
Forward Kevin Hervey, who is among the Mavs leading scorers, came to life during the second half with 16 points and 10 rebounds. South Alabama Head Coach Matthew Graves knew it would be a challenge to guard Hervey recognizing his versatility to both post and shoot successfully.
“He’s a guy we want to get the ball in his hands,” said Coach Cross on Hervey. “He did a good job of not forcing anything and if the shot was there- taking it, if not then skipping it to the open guy.”
To top off a victorious night for the Mavericks, congratulations are also in order for Eric Neal who was announced the UTA Maverick all time assist leader. Neal fought through a bad back, which is likely the reason he seem to struggle offensively.
“I was a little banged up but I fought through it for my teammates,” said Neal. [on his achievement] “It’s one of the best accomplishments in the world… no better feeling in the world.”
Next up the UTA Mavericks will face the Little Rock Trojans (4-13) next Thursday and then Arkansas State (6-11) on Saturday for a two-game trip in hopes of keeping their short winning streak alive.
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- Mavericks have no answer for Joel Embiid in loss to 76ers on Monday night
- Texas Rangers announce Rowdy Energy as organization’s official energy drink
- Red-hot Hintz helps Stars to points in three of last four ahead of what ends up as a quiet trade deadline
- NFL Draft: Who were the best picks from each of Dallas’ last 10 drafts?
- What to watch for as the Mavs host Philadelphia
- Season Preview: Is this a “make it or break it” year for Elliott?
- Is time almost up for Ronald Guzmán to show the Rangers that he belongs?
- DeMar DeRozan hits game-winner as Mavericks fall late to Spurs
- Hideki Matsuyama wins the Masters, Japan’s first major championship
- What to watch for as the Mavericks take on the Spurs