Death, taxes, and a Dallas Cowboy being in offseason legal trouble. Ventell Bryant was arrested Wednesday morning in Tampa, Florida. The 23-year old reportedly failed a field sobriety test and was driving with his headlights turned off. Bryant isn’t a defender, but a receiver that could be in line for a bigger role. With multiple suspensions of Dallas players over the last few seasons, it appears the 2020 offseason is off to a similar start. With Amari Cooper, Randall Cobb and Tavon Austin slated for free agency, the team needs all the depth they can. However, Ventell Bryant’s arrest may complicate the depth chart at wide receiver.
While Ventell Bryant isn’t a cornerstone player on the Cowboys roster, it never is ideal to have one of your players in the law’s spotlight. Bryant established a niche role for himself last season, chipping in the run game as a blocking wide receiver, playing special teams, and providing some depth on game days. Ventell even caught a touchdown pass this past Thanksgiving, where former Cowboys quarterback turned analyst Tony Romo referred to him jokingly as Dez Bryant.
Under Mike McCarthy’s new regime, it will be interesting to see if Bryant stays on the roster. McCarthy has plenty of decisions to evaluate over the coming weeks, as he implements his vision for the team. Players such as Bryant, without a clear role in 2020, could be on the bubble or even released when in legal trouble. However, it will be an interesting look into how McCarthy evaluates his roster in situations like this. With the receiver depth chart in limbo, Bryant has a range of possibilities with his future in the league and with the Cowboys. Look for some clarity on his future with the club, as the team adds players in free agency and the draft.
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- Five Key Points: Previewing Dallas (3) vs Calgary (7)
- Tim Hardaway Jr. and Mavs role players step up to handle the Jazz in the second half
- What to watch for as Mavericks take on the Jazz
- 23-year-old Collin Morikawa wins the PGA Championship
- Rangers sweep Angels thanks to oddities and a Lance Lynn milestone
- No shortage of amazement for Luka Doncic’s insane pass late in the Mavs win over the Bucks
- An all-time Luka performance leads the Mavs past the Bucks in overtime
- Have the Rangers turned the tide of their 2020 season in the last several days?
- What to watch for as Mavs face Bucks on ESPN
- Takeaways from Mike McCarthy speaking to the media Friday