The Dallas Mavericks (29-23) remain at home on Monday night to take on the Philadelphia 76ers (36-17). Dallas will be looking to get back on track after a disappointing loss on Sunday night against the Spurs.
Containing Joel Embiid
The Mavericks interior defense will be tested on Monday with MVP candidate Joel Embiid in town. In the first matchup against Dallas, Embiid was held to 23 points on 5-20 shooting. For the season, Embiid is averaging 29.4 points per game and 11 rebounds but since returning from injury, Embiid hasn’t quite regained his pre-injury form.
In his four games played, Embiid is averaging 25 points, 8 rebounds while shooting 45% from the field.
The Mavericks have fallen into a habit of starting games slow this season. There has been many cases where Dallas has come out lacking energy and it has cost them in their two most recent losses against the Rockets and Spurs.
Over the past 32 games. First quarter statistics.
Point differential: -0.3 (16th in the NBA)
Points per game: 27.9 (19th in the NBA)
Offensive rating: 112.9 (13th in the NBA)
Defensive rating: 113 (15th in the NBA)
When you look at those numbers and look at the Mavs record (21-11) during these 32 games, you might not put much stock into the first quarter struggles. However, Philadelphia is in the top 10 in those categories and has started fast all season.
Playing well and establishing themselves early will be big for the Mavs on Monday, especially considering they are on a back to back.
Who will rest?
You can’t mention the Mavericks are playing a back-to-back and not wonder who will possibly sit. Luka and KP both played 35 minutes on Sunday and could be held out.
Kleber sat out Sunday and Carlisle was hopeful that he would be able to play tonight.
JJ Redick practiced with the team for the first time on Saturday. After practice, Carlisle said he could make his debut with the team on Monday.
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- What to watch for as the Mavericks host the Cavs
- Mavericks hold on to force fourth-straight loss for Irving, Nets
- Photos: Mavs vs Nets (May 6, 2021)
- Five realistic free agents Dallas should consider post-draft
- NFL Draft Review: How much potential does Wright have to contribute?
- What to watch for as the Mavs look to knock off the Nets
- Getting to know the Dallas Cowboys third round picks: Osa Odighizuwa, Chauncey Golston and Nashon Wright
- NFL Draft Review: Golston gives size, length to remolded defense
- Three takeaways from the Mavericks big win over the Heat
- NFL Draft Review: Odighizuwa can be disruptive for interior line