We are only 11 days away from the start of the 2018 NFL season and there are still questions looming regarding which positions should be filled on the roster. After last Sunday’s game against the Arizona Cardinals, you can include backup quarterback as one of the questionable positions.
Backup QB Cooper Rush started the first half and threw two interceptions. He finished the half with completing 11 of 17 passes for a total of 93 yards. This lackluster performance was a stark contrast to his performance last year during preseason where he played in all four games, had 6 touchdowns, and completed 75 percent of his passes for 398 yards.
The 5th round draft pick Mike White finished the second half of the game with an ok performance completing 17 of 22 passes but had 2 fumbles and an interception (insert head-slapping emoji here). White has looked like a timid rookie all preseason. He’s been apprehensive throwing it down the field and his decision-making is slow.
Look, it’s possible that someday Rush or White could be a formidable backup, but we’re far from that right now. Here’s the thing, the Cowboys should know better than anyone the importance of having a strong backup QB. Last season, the Philadelphia Eagles won the Super Bowl with their backup QB because they had the forethought that it was a likely possibility they might need one. It would be unacceptable for the Cowboys to not address the situation.
Question is, who could the Cowboys get this close to the start of the season? I’m going to go ahead and throw Colin Kaepernick’s name out there but let’s be real, Jerry Jones isn’t going to sway from his national anthem rule, so that’s a no go. It’s a shame too because Kaepernick is a talented veteran that could lead the team. Robert Griffin III is still fighting for a position on the Baltimore Ravens and chances are he may not make the roster. Jay Cutler is another option.
We only have one more preseason game tomorrow versus the Houston Texas. Unless Rush or White comes out and blows everyone away, chances are the Cowboys will in search of a new backup.
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- Reliving the best moment in Texas Rangers history 10 years later: Winning that first AL Pennant
- Dallas Cowboys Stock Report: Week 6
- Season Outlook: Predicting the Cowboys final 2020 record
- Can the Dallas Cowboys recover from another blowout loss?
- TweetCap: Fans react to Cowboys primetime loss
- Why Rangers fans should be excited for Game 7 of the NLCS at Globe Life Field
- Strange year continues as Mavs offseason buzz is picking up in… October?
- Dallas Cowboys Stock Report: Week 5
- Globe Life Field makes history in NLCS with something it’s been lacking: fans
- Season Outlook: Expectations following Prescott’s injury?