The Dallas Cowboys need to improve their receiving core. Dallas added veterans in free agency (Allen Hurns, Deonte Thompson) while drafting youngsters (Michael Gallup, Cedrick Wilson) to make an impact. After Jason Witten retired, a veteran voice was needed to lead the new additions.
Terrance Williams had a chance to be that voice. Now, he has questions to answer. Already recovering from a foot injury, Williams put himself and the Dallas Cowboys in the news over the weekend:
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) May 19, 2018
Cowboys WR Terrance Williams, who was arrested late last night, is recovering from a fractured foot this offseason and wasn't going to participate in OTAs. His $3.5 million salary in 2018 is guaranteed, which has kept him on the roster as of now.
— Brandon George (@DMN_George) May 19, 2018
Williams’ arrest puts a cloud over his playing status and roster status going forward. The league is currently not handing down any suspension or fine as of yet. Terrance Williams is not a potential roster cut as of now, as his release would cost the team financially. However, there is a silver lining that could emerge from this cloud:
Dallas Cowboys Have a Silver Lining:
Michael Gallup can play all over the field for the Dallas Cowboys. Allen Hurns is also a versatile receiver. While Hurns is proven, Gallup has the upside to be an impact player in year one. Gallup wins with his route running and hands. Although not physically imposing, Gallup can separate from defenders. Dak Prescott succeeds with great timing and mobility. Gallup is a player that works well with Prescott’s strengths.
Rookie Cedrick Wilson and veteran Deonte Thompson are deep passing game threats for the team. With Cole Beasley working inside, the Cowboys have several players for Dak Prescott to throw to. While Williams is the most experienced receiver, he may prove to be the least utilized. Furthermore, Williams may fall down the depth chart. Especially if Gallup and Wilson can hit the ground running as rookies. While the team waits on Terrance Williams’ situation, they have potential solutions in the fold.
- DallasFanatic Pod Ep 96: Dak Prescott is “All about the Benjamins baby!”
- Rangers’ Joey Gallo for AL MVP? It’s not as crazy as you’d think.
- Quad injury comes at a tough time for both Willie Calhoun and the Rangers
- Short-sided booking continues to be problematic for WWE’s women’s division
- Dallas Wings Media Day roundup
- What Dwight Powell declining his player option means for the Mavericks
- FC Dallas Draws with Los Angeles FC
- Brock Lesnar: Beast in the Bank
- Rangers show the “Show Me” state teams how it’s done, then head to the west
- Watching Jaylon Smith’s (Unlikely) Legendary Narrative Unfold