We’ve heard the jokes around Jason Garett and the New York Giants’ decision to make him the OC. But is he being underrated as a coordinator?
Griffin: If the reports of Jason Garett installing the same offense he used in Dallas is true, the Giants are going to be in trouble. There is a reason Kellen Moore was hired and took over as play-caller after the 2018 season. Once Moore got going, the Cowboys had the best offense in the NFL. New York has talent on the offensive side of the ball but Garett has proven he can take talented rosters and put them to waste with mediocre seasons. So no, he is not being underrated. The Giants’ offense may improve, but if it becomes anything more than Dallas’ over the years, it will be a huge surprise.
Juwan: I do believe in some vain people are underrating Garrett’s ability to run an offense. The Cowboys had their vanilla and predictable moments, but the offense still produced three rushing champions and nearly a near 5,000-yard quarterback. Remember, the reason he became head coach was because of his offensive playcalling ability. The Giants offensive talent is not comparable to the Cowboys so I don’t expect them to become an offensive threat, but I wouldn’t undersell the impact Garrett could have.
Do you see it being possible for Dallas to have three 1,000-yard receivers?
Griffin: Possibly in the future, yes, but not this upcoming season. Last season, Amari Cooper and Michael Gallup already achieved their 1,000-yard seasons, leaving rookie CeeDee Lamb to be the third. Dallas losing just over 1,500 receiving yards with Randall Cobb, Jason Witten, and Tavon Austin leaving this offseason, but it would be difficult to see CeeDee Lamb making most of it up. Tight end Blake Jarwin is expected to have an increased role, as will running back Tony Pollard. Eventually, Lamb should be able to get those type of numbers in the Cowboys’ high flying offense. However, it will be tough in debut NFL season.
Juwan: I do think they have the talent to do so. However, you paid Ezekiel Elliott to be one of the best rushers in the league. I would find it difficult that Dallas makes a hard transition to a pass-first offense that would allow three of their receivers to eclipse 1,000 yards. If Elliott wasn’t in the backfield then I believe a better case could be made for that happening.
2020 NFL Draft Recap
It was almost too good to be true. That was the sentiments echoing around...
Go back and look at any creditable mock draft and try to find one...
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com – Xavier McKinney, S School: Alabama | Year: Junior “McKinney called...
COVID-19 Latest News and Information
- Five Key Points: Previewing Dallas (3) vs Calgary (7)
- Tim Hardaway Jr. and Mavs role players step up to handle the Jazz in the second half
- What to watch for as Mavericks take on the Jazz
- 23-year-old Collin Morikawa wins the PGA Championship
- Rangers sweep Angels thanks to oddities and a Lance Lynn milestone
- No shortage of amazement for Luka Doncic’s insane pass late in the Mavs win over the Bucks
- An all-time Luka performance leads the Mavs past the Bucks in overtime
- Have the Rangers turned the tide of their 2020 season in the last several days?
- What to watch for as Mavs face Bucks on ESPN
- Takeaways from Mike McCarthy speaking to the media Friday