Micah Parsons recently said they’re going to “set the tone” for how to play defense Sunday. What do you believe is the potential of this defense this season? Can they be top 5?
Juwan: I’m not one that tries to buy into a lot of preseason hype surrounding the team, but having a player like Micah Parsons on your defense makes it incredibly hard not to. We saw Parsons’s impact last year, along with having a ball-hawking corner like Trevon and Dan Quinn as your defensive coordinator. I can’t remember the last time you could argue that the defense is the strength of the Dallas Cowboys, but, for me, they’ve become the most exciting part of this team. You’re also getting a hungry DeMarcus Lawrence and a Jayron Kearse who feels he is still criminally underrated. I would not be surprised if people are talking about this defense as one of the five best defenses in the NFL by midseason.
Nate: The ceiling of this defense is very high. They have a perennial DPOY candidate up front in Micah Parsons. They are going into year two under a great defensive coach in Dan Quinn. The defensive front is very good and very deep, and the secondary has a playmaker like Trevon Diggs at corner and a deep and talented safety room. It is borderline impossible for them to replicate the takeaway production they had in 2021, but one thing that isn’t a fluke is a good pass rush. Dallas has a very strong front led by Parsons and Lawrence that will be able to put a lot of heat on QBs. The secondary is solid, but if this defense is great, it will be because of Parsons, Lawrence and the rest.
- Six Underrated Heroes as the Texas Rangers Celebrate First World Series Title
- How do the Texas Rangers and Arizona Diamondbacks Match Up in the 2023 Fall Classic?
- Texas Rangers bound for World Series vs Diamondbacks in a euphoric state
- Previewing a Texas-Sized ALCS Between Rangers and Astros
- Despite a shaky finish, the Rangers still have the same focus on postseason success as they go to Tampa for the Wild Card series