The Dallas Cowboys defense has made a complete 180 from what we saw last year. Micah Parsons seems to be on his way to elite status and Trevon Diggs seems to already be there. But who’s been more vital to this team’s success out of those two?
Juwan: I’m going to go with Trevon. I understand the belief that pass rushers make cornerbacks jobs easier, but it makes it a lot easier to scheme pressure and various looks upfront when your cornerback is making quarterbacks second guess their decision. And when they do try him it’s a turnover. It’s been a few times this season where the Cowboys have gotten sacks due to coverage and Diggs is a large part of that. Added to the fact, this defense hasn’t necessarily shut down opposing offenses. They’ve been successful by consistently forcing turnovers. We saw Tampa Bay and Carolina be able to move the ball on this defense. And in both cases, it was interceptions by Diggs that altered the game.
Nate: I would say Micah Parsons. With as poor as the linebacker play has been in recent memory combined with the injuries to the front seven, Parsons’ contributions have been massively important in turning around the Dallas defense. The Cowboys were consistently blown off the ball and dominated up front, and some of that credit goes to the speed and power Parsons has added to Dallas’ front. Yes, the rest of the personnel has improved, but Parsons’ impact has spread across multiple position groups.
The Cowboys revamped this defense through free agent signings and draft picks. So what was their best offseason move looking back at it?
- Victory Avenue Podcast, Ep. 28: The Ticket’s Jake Kemp joins for a Season Preview Roundtable!
- Dallas Stars Fanatic Podcast: 2021 Season Starts With High Expectations
- Media Roundup: Where are the Cowboys ranked nationally?
- Rank ‘Em: Deciding which of Dallas’ five games were the most impressive
- Yet another statement: Cowboys roll another divisional opponent
- Sidekicks coach Pablo Da Silva speaks to DSF about the upcoming season
- DSF Roundup: Writers share final thoughts on Dallas’ divisional game
- Which areas of the roster should the Rangers focus more on this offseason?
- DSF Mailbag: Who’s been more vital to this defense’s success? Diggs or Parsons?
- Rank ‘Em: Who has been the five best free agent additions for Dallas?