Career Highlights: Olympic gold medalist, 2013 All-Rookie team, 2x All-WNBA First Team, 4x All-Star, 2015 ESPY Winner, 3x All-American at Notre Dame
Six-year veteran Skylar Diggins-Smith joined the Dallas Wings in 2016 after spending three years with the Tulsa Shock who drafted her 3rd overall in the 2013 WNBA draft.
The Wings’ All-Star gave birth to her first child sometime in late April and subsequently took off the 2019 season to focus on being a mother while still working to get back into the game. In 2018, she averaged 17.9 points and a team-high of 6.2 assists. Throughout the duration of her career, Diggins-Smith has accumulated 2,670 points, 826 assists and 447 rebounds.
Arguably one of the most recognizable and vocal figures in the sport, Diggins-Smith is a WNBA icon and the face of the Wings franchise. As a leader of the Dallas pack, she has fearlessly guided and prioritized the team’s success over personal achievements despite leading a team that is so often written off.
Outlook: The Wings took a hit losing their two best players, Liz Cambage and Diggins-Smith, in the same offseason heading into 2019 and it eerily demonstrated the immense value and productivity of Diggins-Smith. Now she will be joining her fellow Notre Dame alumna and Rookie of the Year candidate Arike Ogunbowale who she has been mentoring from the sidelines. As a fan favorite, leader and now mother, Diggins-Smith’s return to the game is going to transform this young Wings team and bring them back to playoff contention next season.
DSF Top 20 Current Athletes: 20. John Klingberg | 19. Skylar Diggins-Smith
- 46 point win over the Pelicans doesn’t keep Mavericks from preaching improvement
- Photos: Mavs vs Pelicans (December 7, 2019)
- Rangers continue low-risk building of their rotation with signing of Jordan Lyles
- D-Town Sports Bar Podcast Ep 6: Cowboys fall to 6-7 as fan frustration grows higher and higher
- TweetCap: Social media reacts to Dallas’ third-straight loss
- Instant Reaction: DSF writers react to the Cowboys Thursday night loss against Chicago
- D-Town Sports Bar Podcast Ep 5: Mavs are flying high as they have won 9 out of the last 10 games!
- Kristaps Porzingis and his role within the Mavericks offense
- Defining Rangers Moments of the 2010’s: Beltre’s 3,000th Hit
- Powell, Brunson spark the Mavs as they hold off Timberwolves