On the eve of the Hall of Fame game between our Dallas Cowboys and the Arizona Cardinals, I figured what better way to really get the season started than some pre-season NFL power rankings. I took to the internet to see where the Cowboys stand amongst the rest of the NFL media. I figured I’d get things started off by giving you my take.
4. We just wouldn’t be the Dallas Cowboys without drama now would we? Multiple suspensions have already been handed down (DE Damontre Moore, DL David Irving, WR Shaq Evans) and there could be more on the horizon: DB Nolan Carroll (DUI), LB Damien Wilson (Aggravated Assault) and most importantly RB Ezekiel Elliott (Domestic Abuse). With all of that said, it’s just to hard to argue that the Dallas Cowboys don’t pose a serious threat once again in the NFC. Could there be a sophomore slump in store for Dak Prescott? Perhaps. However, with that offensive line, and Ezekiel Elliott forcing teams to stack the box, I think Prescott and a resurgent season from Dez Bryant will be more than enough to harass teams throughout the season.
Note: Don’t sleep on that young defense either.
6. Like the Packers, the Cowboys took care of business for the 2017 season and then some. Knowing they had to have a pass rusher, Dallas nabbed Taco Charlton in the first round. The taco salad came when the Joneses saddled up with Chidobe Awuzie, Jourdan Lewis and Xavier Woods in the secondary, in that the fortunes of the pass rush can’t be separated from those of the secondary. The only disappointment might have been team brass avoiding offensive line, meaning Chaz Green will be the RT next year.
One more note on Taco: Taco Bell is famous. Californians swear by Del Taco. And the Greenville Ave crowd in Big D frequents Taco Cabana at 2 AM when they’re three sheets. For my money, give me the bean burritos at Taco Bueno.
9. They had a nice draft on the defensive side, but they need those guys to make an impact right away. I just think they are taking a step back this time around.
5. The Cowboys went 8-8 three years in a row from 2011 to 2013. Their win totals the past three years are 12, 4 and 13. That pattern doesn’t bode well, but that offensive line travels, so I guess that keeps the Cowboys here. Nobody seems to care that no one in their secondary is finished with finals yet.
6. It’s been a bumpy summer in Dallas, as a potential suspension for Ezekiel Elliott still hangs over the team. Even if Dak Prescott’s ascension continues, multiple unknowns on defense are cause for concern.
3. Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett can’t steer clear from off-season controversy. They can afford it, though, since Dak Prescott and Ezekiel Elliott will deliver more regular-season greatness.
2. Didn’t beat the curve. Get ready to hear a lot about Chaz Green. After Dallas passed on drafting any O-linemen, he’s the assumed front-runner to assume starting right tackle duties from the retired Doug Free. Green was a third-round pick in 2015 but has managed just two starts and four total appearances in the two seasons since—back surgery landed him on IR in December. Free-agent pickup Byron Bell or mauling guard La’el Collins could step in if Green can’t meet that unit’s high standards.
- Your Texas Rangers Early Opening Day Roster Predictions
- Months Later, Texas Rangers Players Reflect on World Series Impact to Rangers Fans
- How Dane Dunning is connecting with Ranger fans on a different Level
- Why There’s Difficulty Bringing in a Free Agent Starter for the Texas Rangers
- Should the Texas Rangers Bring Back These Six Free Agents