In another shocking development in an insane week for the Mavericks, Rick Carlisle announced Thursday afternoon that he would not return to the Mavericks next season. The 61-year-old leaves Dallas after 13 seasons and the lone coach to lead the Mavs to a championship in their 41 year history.
Rick Carlisle statement to ESPN: pic.twitter.com/zdKA8sWa4Y
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) June 17, 2021
The announcement comes just one day after the team confirmed that long-time GM Donnie Nelson and the organization mutually agreed to part ways. It was reported by The Athletic Thursday that Nelson was actually fired on Sunday following the growing tension in the front office and with Mark Cuban.
VP of basketball operations Michael Finley and assistant coach Jamahl Mosley have quickly shot to the top of the list for candidates to fill the two openings.
There is still so much to unfold, but DSF will try to keep up with everything that develops over the coming weeks, days and even hours with the Mavericks.
- Rangers land Corey Seager in mega deal that shakes the baseball world
- The Rangers go Sunday shopping with a Marcus Semien signing
- A couple of takeaways from the Mavericks loss to the Wizards
- Hoops Tank, Ep. 15: What exactly is it that is allowing the perplexing Mavericks to keep winning games?
- A couple of takeaways from the Mavericks win over the Clippers