When the Mavericks made a trip up to Salt Lake City back at the end of January for two straight games against the Jazz, they were in a bad, bad way. Dallas was in the middle of what would eventually be their season long six-game losing streak that eventually dropped their record to 8-13. The Mavs didn’t just lose a couple close games to the Jazz, they were absolutely destroyed by the first-place team in the west. Losing both games by a combined 31 points. The games were so bad and timed in the middle of the losing streak that they even caused me to tweet out something like this.
Does Rick Carlisle see the end of February? These players just aren't bringing what it takes and someone has to eventually pay the price.
— Dylan Duell (@DylanDuell) January 30, 2021
It was silly in hindsight, but man those games were tough.
Since then, the Jazz haven’t really taken any sort of step back as they still have the best record in the league at 39-11 overall and with a nine-game winning streak entering Monday night’s game at the American Airlines Center. The Mavericks have since turned their season around with a record of 18-7 since February 6th. Dallas can’t match a nine-game winning streak, but they will bring their own respectable four game winning streak into Monday night’s game.
The Mavericks could potentially be without both Kristaps Porzingis (wrist sprain) and Josh Richardson (left calf tightness) as they both missed Saturday night’s win against the Wizards. Maxi Kleber is expected to return to the lineup after a one game absence.
While Monday night’s game isn’t the be-all end-all of measuring sticks for the improving Mavericks, it could certainly give the team a major confidence boost after so forcefully handled by the Jazz earlier in the season.
|Points per game||Luka Doncic (28.6)||Donovan Mitchell (25.5)|
|Rebounds per game||Kristaps Porzingis (8.9)||Rudy Gobert (13.2)|
|Assists per game||Luka Doncic (8.8)||Tie – Donovan Mitchell/Mike Conley (5.5)|
Monday night’s game will have an early tip-off at 6 PM from the American Airlines Center. According to oddsshark,com, Utah is currently favored by 5.5 points.
- Stars trade down, select Wyatt Johnston No. 23 overall
- Rangers are getting a look at Curtis Terry, but who plays second base?
- Season Outlook: What will it take for Prescott to win MVP in 2021?
- Dallas Cowboys training camp news: Elliott’s new physique shows increased motivation for 2021
- Smith, Vander Esch headline most intriguing position group to watch
- Oxnard Press Conference: Prescott slated to be a full go for training camp
- Rangers trying to find any way possible out of their current slump
- Hoops Tank: Kidd/Harrison first impressions and naming former Mavs on recent championship teams
- Dallas Stars Fanatic Podcast: Heiskanen extended; who can Dallas lose in expansion draft?
- VIDEO: BTS from Big 12 FB Media Days