The 3rd quarter of the Dallas Cowboys season is now complete after the Cowboys beat the Washington Redskins 38-14 Thursday. There has been a lot of ups and a lot of downs for the 2017 season. There have been guys that have stepped up and there have been guys that have taken steps back. It is time to take a look at some of those guys.
Of course we all know Elliott has now served four games of his six game suspension. The Cowboys were 5-3 and rolling before the suspension started and now the team is 6-6 having lost three of the four games Elliott has been suspended. Dak has looked nothing like his normal self without Zeke. If there was any question about how important Elliott is to this football team, we have got our answer loud and clear.
Who saw this season coming for Demarcus Lawrence? The belief with Lawrence was that he had talent but there was always a question of health. This year he has been on the field and wrecking opposing team’s offenses. Lawrence leads the league in sacks with 13.5.
David Irving started the 2017 suspended for the first four games so he has only played in eight games. In those games he was recorded seven sacks and has been Robin to Demarcus Lawrences’ batman. While Irving was suspended he didn’t use that as a vacation. Instead he got to work in a local gym to make sure he would be productive when he got back in the team facility and on the field.
Coming into the season I thought Switzer could be difference maker on special teams as well as on offense. That hasn’t been the case. He can’t get on the field on offense and has made limited impact on special teams. He did return his first punt for a touchdown Thursday night so we will see if he can use that confidence and finish the season strong.
Byron Jones is another guy I thought could take a significant step up and be mentioned with some of the top ball hawking, playmaking safeties in the NFL. Byron worked all offseason on ball skills. He even went to work with the Texas Rangers Double-A affiliate, the Frisco Riders. That hard work has not paid off this season, unfortunately. There is serious question on if the Cowboys will pick up the 5th year option for Jones.
After an amazing first year, Anthony Brown has taken a step back. So much of a step back that he has been demoted from starting left corner. This is a move that should have been made a few weeks ago. Brown has drawn 10 penalties so far this season after only committing three last year as a rookie. Brown was limited to just eight snaps November 30th against the Washington Redskins. He did get an interception in the 4th quarter.
- In the thick of October, an early Texas Rangers Opening Day roster prediction
- Victory Avenue Podcast, Ep. 28: The Ticket’s Jake Kemp joins for a Season Preview Roundtable!
- Dallas Stars Fanatic Podcast: 2021 Season Starts With High Expectations
- Media Roundup: Where are the Cowboys ranked nationally?
- Rank ‘Em: Deciding which of Dallas’ five games were the most impressive
- Yet another statement: Cowboys roll another divisional opponent
- Sidekicks coach Pablo Da Silva speaks to DSF about the upcoming season
- DSF Roundup: Writers share final thoughts on Dallas’ divisional game
- Which areas of the roster should the Rangers focus more on this offseason?
- DSF Mailbag: Who’s been more vital to this defense’s success? Diggs or Parsons?