Position: Left Wing
Career Stats: GP: 745 , Goals: 281 , Assists: 368 , Points: 649
Career Accolades: Art Ross Trophy Winner (Most points in the regular season 2014-2015), NHL All Star (2012, 2016), First All Star Team (2013-2014, 2015-2016), Second All Star Team (2014-2015), Gold Medal (Canada, 2014 Winter Olympics)
The captain of the Dallas Stars since 2013, Jamie Benn, is an elite power forward in the NHL. At 6’2″, 210 pounds he is a dominating presence on the ice, yet he still possesses the soft hands that it takes to score points at an extremely high level. Jamie Benn was a diamond in the rough for the Stars and their front office. Drafted 129th overall in 2007, many overlooked him. He was able to climb his way through the minors up to the show and scored 22 goals his rookie year in 2009-2010.
The native of Victoria, British Columbia has been the Stars most consistent player for the last decade. He got 22 tucks his rookie and sophomore years, and those were his lowest goal totals for his career (minus the lockout year). He scored as many as 41, in the 2015-2016 season, and was the first player in the organization to score more than 40 goals in a season since the legendary Mike Modano scored 50 in the 1993-1994 season. He has scored 25+ goals every year since the last lockout, which is truly amazing.
Since the 2012-2013 season, Benn has led the team in points four times in seven seasons, came in second to Tyler Seguin twice, and last year came in third behind Segs and Alexander Radulov.
Coming off his lowest point total since his rookie year, Jamie has a lot to prove this year. He still scored an incredible 27 goals, and with new additions Joe Pavelski and Corey Perry, the 30-year-old Benn should look hungrier than ever to go out there and win the Stanley Cup.
Jamie Benn is also an incredible person off of the ice. Since 2013 he has been an ambassador for National Multiple Sclerosis. He has a section at the games called “Benn’s Beauties” where he donates tickets for fans with the disease. He became involved because a close family friend had the disease.
All in all, the city of Dallas and the Dallas Stars are extremely lucky to have such a well rounded individual like Jamie Benn around. He is the heart and soul of the hockey team, his teammates look up to him, and the fans love him.
DSF Top 20 Current DFW Athletes
20. John Klingberg | 19. Skylar Diggins-Smith | 18. Alexander Radulov | 17. Tyron Smith | 16. Miro Heiskanen | 15. Travis Frederick | 14. Zack Martin | 13. Demarcus Lawrence | 12. Leighton Vander Esch | 11. Ben Bishop | 10. Jaylon Smith | 9. Jamie Benn
- D-Town Sports Bar Podcast Ep 5: Mavs are flying high as they have won 9 out of the last 10 games!
- Kristaps Porzingis and his role within the Mavericks offense
- Defining Rangers Moments of the 2010’s: Beltre’s 3,000th Hit
- Powell, Brunson spark the Mavs as they hold off Timberwolves
- Photos: Mavs vs Timberwolves (December 4, 2019)
- Colorful discussion surrounding powder blue making its glorious return for the Rangers
- Photos: Texas Rangers Unveil Uniform Information for 2020 (December 4, 2019)
- Former Texas Rangers pitcher Derek Holland to do honorary first kick at Sidekicks home opener Dec. 14
- Photos: SMU vs Northwestern (December 3, 2019)
- Career-high 18 rebounds for Luka as Mavs beat Pelicans 118-97